Nanasau Farms, LLC was formed in 2001 by Tod and Sophie Hayes to handle the operation of a roughly 300 acre family-owned property that Thomas F. Cadwalader, Sophie's grandfather, bought in 1919. Most of the property is under conservation easement and owned by a trust which restricts development and sale. Tod and Sophie's goal is to keep the property well-maintained and preserve its character as a family farm.
Nanasau Farms is located in Joppa, Harford County, Maryland, near the Little Gunpowder State Park. It is bordered by Old Joppa, Jerusalem, and Jericho Roads, and the Little Gunpowder Falls. Interstate 95 is about two miles to the east and US Route 1 about two miles to the west. It's approximately 35 minutes from downtown Baltimore and 55 minutes from Wilmington.
Equine facilities at Nanasau Farms include a bank barn dating from the 1840s. The barn has nine large box stalls and the capacity to hold over 2,000 bales of straw or hay. The barn was thoroughly modernized in the 1990s and has updated electrical and plumbing systems, despite its charm.
Pastures include four large pastures, each with shelter, and a smaller paddock with a run-in shed. Horses in the main barn are rotated among the three main pastures. A fouth pasture is rented to self-care boarders and the paddock is used for special layovers and temporary field board.
The farm has a 150' X 100' lighted riding ring with stone dust footing.
Nanasau Farms has direct access to the state-maintained riding trails in Little Gunpowder State Park. The boarders enjoy riding in the park and through the trails on the property as well.